HAWAII Magazine guide to watching the Vans Triple Crown of Surfingby: Vanessa Sim
posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 at 12:07 AM
Haleiwa Alii Beach, Oahu
Reef Hawaiian Pro
The Vans Hawaiian Pro
• Location: Haleiwa Alii Beach Park, 66 Haleiwa Road, in Haleiwa town
• Known by surfers for:
- Powerful rip currents—strong channels of water that pull surfers away from their desired take off point.
- The “Toilet Bowl”—a shallow reef patch where surfers often get caught inside waves as they break onto the reef. All surfers must navigate it at the start and at the end of their ride.
• Reef Hawaiian Pro defending champion: Michel Bourez (Tahiti)
• Vans Hawaiian Pro defending champion: Carissa Moore (Hawaii)
• Beach access: Easy. Right alongside park.
• Bathrooms? Yes
• Parking? There’s an actual parking lot at Haleiwa Alii Beach Park, but parking will be first come, first serve. Parking will also be allowed in selected areas outside the beach park.
• Food and drink? A lunch wagon with a variety of ready-to-eat snacks and drinks for sale.
Check out these related HawaiiMagazine.com posts:
HAWAII Magazine spectator guide to the 2010 Vans Triple Crown of Surfing
Holding period in place for 2012 Vans Triple Crown of Surfing on Oahu’s North Shore
Got surf? Holding period under way for 2011 Vans Triple Crown of Surfing on Oahu