HAWAII Magazine guide to watching the Vans Triple Crown of Surfingby: Vanessa Sim
posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 at 12:07 AM
Sunset Beach, Oahu
O’Neill World Cup of Surfing
Nov. 24 - Dec.6
The Gidget Pro
Nov. 24 - Dec. 6
• Location: Kamehameha Hwy, 8 miles east of Haleiwa town
• O’Neill World Cup of Surfing defending champion: C.J. Hobgood (Florida)
• Gidget Pro defending champion: Stephanie Gilmore (Australia)
• Known by surfers for:
- Its reputation as a surf break where champions are made and broken.
- The “West Peak”—a classic Sunset Beach wave known for being fast-moving and unpredictable.
- A strong rip current dubbed “Sunset Rip”—a challenge for surfers trying to complete their ride on the break’s “West Peak.”
• Beach access: Easy. Just off of Kamehameha Hwy.
• Bathrooms? Yes
• Parking? The Sunset Beach Park parking lot will be open first come, first serve. Parking will also be allowed along Kamehameha Hwy.
• Food and drink? A lunch wagon with a variety of ready-to-eat snacks and drinks for sale.
Check out these related HawaiiMagazine.com posts:
HAWAII Magazine spectator guide to the 2010 Vans Triple Crown of Surfing
Holding period in place for 2012 Vans Triple Crown of Surfing on Oahu’s North Shore
Got surf? Holding period under way for 2011 Vans Triple Crown of Surfing on Oahu