HAWAII Magazine guide to watching the Vans Triple Crown of Surfingby: Vanessa Sim
posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 at 12:07 AM
Honolua Bay, Maui
The Billabong Pro Maui
• Location: Honolua-Mokuleia Bay Marine Life Conservation District, Honoapiilani Hwy, 11 miles north of Lahaina, just past Kapalua Resort.
• Defending champion: Stephanie Gilmore (Australia)
• Known by surfers for:
- A long ride. Surfers will compete on waves that could possibly last the length of five football fields.
• Beach access: A bit of a trek. It’s a quarter-mile hike from the highway to a rocky shoreline and very limited beach area. Our advice? Find a comfortable spot along the cliffs of Honolua Bay for a better vantage point. Lipoa Point, further north along the highway also offers a panoramic view.
• Bathrooms? No
• Parking? No parking lot. Parking is available alongside Honoapiilani Hwy.
• Food and drinks? No
(For more Triple Crown of Surfing info, click here.)
Photos: Vans Triple Crown of Surfing (pgs. 1, 2, 3, 4); Billabong Pro Maui (pg. 5)
Check out these related HawaiiMagazine.com posts:
HAWAII Magazine spectator guide to the 2010 Vans Triple Crown of Surfing
Holding period in place for 2012 Vans Triple Crown of Surfing on Oahu’s North Shore
Got surf? Holding period under way for 2011 Vans Triple Crown of Surfing on Oahu