Top 5 favorite Hawaii towns: HAWAII Magazine Facebook poll resultsby: Maureen O'Connell and Leah Montalbano
posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 at 04:35 PM
Our Facebook ohana selected Lahaina as their favorite Hawaii town. It’s said that Lahaina enjoyed 25 years as the capitol of the Kingdom of Hawaii, between 1820 and 1845, simply because King Kamehameha III preferred the small town over Oahu’s bustling Honolulu. The monarch knew a great shoreline town when he saw one. Today, Lahaina is less freewheeling and rowdy than it was back then, when it was also the whaling capital of the Pacific. Lahaina now offers an appealing mix of shops, eateries, art galleries and boutiques. Its historic district features glimpses at Lahaina’s plantation era architecture as well and stunning views from Front Street across the Auau Channel to Lanai. During winter months, whale-watching tours set sail from Lahaina Harbor.
Click on the links below for the Top 5 results from previous HAWAII Magazine Facebook Ohana poll questions.
• Top 5 favorite Hawaii coastline areas
• Top 5 favorite filmed-in-Hawaii movies
• Top 5 favorite Hawaii snorkeling spots
• Top 5 favorite Hawaii beaches
• Top 5 favorite filmed-in-Hawaii TV series ever
• Top 5 must-have Hawaii foods (upon arrival in the Islands)
• Top 5 Hawaii parks
• Top 5 Hawaii music artists
• Top 5 favorite hiking trails
• Top 5 favorite places to watch a Hawaii sunset
• Top 5 favorite Hawaii scenic lookouts
• Top 5 favorite Hawaii valleys
• Top 5 favorite Hawaii waterfalls
• Top 5 favorite natural wonders of Hawaii
• Top 5 favorite Hawaii plate lunch foods
Subscribe to HAWAII Magazine in print or on iPad.
Photos: page 1 (top) Honolulu/Waikiki, Oahu - Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA) Kirk Lee Aeder; , (bottom) Honolulu/Waikiki - Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA) Ron Garrett; page 2 - Kailua Bay, Big Island - Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA) Tor Johnson; page 3 - Haleiwa, Oahu - Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA) Tor Johnson; page 4 - Hanalei, Kauai - Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA) Tor Johnson; and page 5 (top) Lahaina, Maui - Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA) Tor Johnson, (bottom) Lahaina Harbor, Rudy Calpo
Check out these related HawaiiMagazine.com posts:
Mokulele Airlines adds Hawaii jet service
Alaska Airlines Hawaii airfare sale: one-way flights to Maui, Oahu, Big Island as low as $169
Kona Coffee Cultural Festival begins. The schedule. Best 4 events to check out.
Maui beaches No. 1 winter destination