Your amazing Hawaii photo could win a free Oahu getaway from HAWAII Magazineby: Maureen O'Connell
posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 at 02:11 PM
Do you have a striking Hawaii photograph? One that captures the breathtaking beauty of our lush landscapes and shorelines. Or a memorable moment depicting people and culture in the Islands. It could also be an artistic abstract shot.
If so, enter your best photos in HAWAII Magazine’s 14th annual Photo Contest. Your photography could win you a grand-prize six-night stay at a Waikiki resort, on Oahu, airfare and accommodations included.
The contest is open to entries through Aug. 3, 2012. In previous years, contest categories were organized by island. So, all shots snapped on Maui, for example, were included in a single category. This year, we’ve changed up the lineup. You may enter photos in the categories listed here.
• People — Photos depicting individuals or groups, residents or visitors doing anything or nothing at all (outdoors or indoors) on any island.
• Outdoors — Photos depicting Hawaii’s landscapes/seascapes — natural or man-made, country or urban, mountain/beach (mauka/makai), close-up or at a distance.
• Culture — Photos depicting Hawaii’s diverse cultures — from Hawaiian to Japanese to Filipino and everything in between. Images may feature events, activities, artifacts, memorabilia, architecture, people, etc. Images may spotlight a single culture or many.
• Abstract — Photos depicting Hawaii or elements of Hawaii in a creative or rarely seen way. This category serves as an invitation for you to get experimental.
Your submitted photos can be of anything that falls into one of the four categories, but all entries must have been photographed in Hawaii after May 2009. Entries that fail to comply with photo contest rules will be disqualified. Photos will not be returned.
Here are this year’s prizes. Grand-prize (one winner) is airfare for two to Oahu from the winner’s nearest Alaska Airlines gateway city, plus a six-night stay the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort.
First-place prizes (one winner in each category) will score $100 in cash plus goodies from Lanikai Bath and Body, Oils of Aloha and Hawaiian Bath & Body. Second-place prizes: $75 in cash along with the same goodies awarded to first-place winners.
American photo icon Ansel Adams (1902-1984) also said: “There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.” True enough, artistically speaking. However, please note that we do have some photo contest rules. Click here to check out the official contest rules. And click here to take a look at the official entry form.
Need some visual inspiration? Check out photo galleries of our 2011, 2010, 2009 and 2008 HAWAII Magazine Photo Contest winners and finalists by clicking the links below.
• 2011 HAWAII Magazine Photo Contest winners and finalists
• 2010 HAWAII Magazine Photo Contest winners and finalists
• 2009 HAWAII Magazine Photo Contest winners and finalists
• 2008 HAWAII Magazine Photo Contest winners and finalists
The winner photos will be published in the January/February 2013 issue of HAWAII Magazine. Additionally, winners and finalist photos will be published on HawaiiMagazine.com.
Entries must be postmarked no later than Fri., Aug. 3, 2012. That leaves you with about three months to sort through your best shots or to focus your lens on anything in the Islands that evokes a Hawaii sentiment.
Good luck, photographers! We’re looking forward to seeing your best shots!
A big mahalo to all of our 14th annual HAWAII Magazine Photo Contest sponsors. Please click on their links above to find out more about them.
To subscribe to HAWAII Magazine, click here.
Photos: (top to bottom), 2010 first-place winner, Oahu (body surfing at Makapuu) Ed Gish, 2011 finalist, Maui/Molokai/Lanai (Moaula Falls, Halawa Valley on Molokai) Francisco Langit Jr.; 2011 finalist, Maui/Molokai/Lanai (green sea turtle at sunken vessel, St. Anthony)
Page 1 2 3 4 5
Check out these related HawaiiMagazine.com posts:
The HAWAII Magazine Guide to Visiting Molokai
Flying between the islands of Hawaii: What are your airline options?
Big Island mayor signs bill to ban plastic bags at store, restaurant checkouts
SLIDESHOW: HAWAII Magazine’s 13th Annual Photo Contest winners and finalists