Kuana Torres Kahele, Na Palapalai among nominees for Hawaii's Na Hoku music awardsby: Maureen O'Connell
posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Here’s a list of some of this year’s Na Hoku finalists.
• Female Vocalist of the Year — best performance by a female artist. Finalists: Anuhea, For Love (Anuhea Jams); Shar Carillo, Letting Go (Waiulu); Amy Hanaiali‘i, My Father’s Grandaughter (UA); Melveen Leed, I Wish You Love (ML Records); and Sunway, I’m Here (Princess Lily).
• Male Vocalist of the Year — best performance by a male artist. Finalists: Gary Aiko, Poina ‘Ole ‘Ia (Genoa Keawe Records); Nathan Aweau, ‘IO (Bass Plus); Manu Boyd, Mele ‘Ailana – Manu Boyd Island Music (Hui Waianuhea); Kuana Torres Kahele, Hilo for the Holidays (Kuana Torres Kahele); and Weldown Kekauoha, Pilialoha (‘Ohelo).
• Most Promising Artist of the Year — most promising first-recorded effort as a featured artist or group. Finalists: Shar Carillo, Letting Go; Kamakakehau Fernandez, Wahi Mahalo; Kahulanui, Hula Ku‘i (Palm); Mike Love, The Change I’m Seeking (Love Not War); and Na Hoa, Na Hoa (Na Hoa).
• Group of the Year — best performance by a vocal duo or group. Finalists: Ho‘okena, Huliau – “Music for All Seasons” (Ho‘omau); Kahulanui , Hula Ku‘i (Palm); Eddie Kamae and the Sons of Hawaii, Na Keiki Mau Loa – Children Forever (Hawaiian Legacy); Na Hoa, Na Hoa (Na Hoa) ; Na Palapalai, Ha‘a (Kuana Torres Kahele); and Pahinui Hawaiian Band, Pahinui Hawaiian Band (Keala/Pahinui).
• Single of the Year — best-recorded performance of a song released as a single in either physical (CD) or digital format. Finalists: Aloha Keauhou, Kenneth Makuakane and Keola Donaghy (Makuakane); It’s Never Easy, “Bruddah Waltah (Rubbah Slippah); Merry Christmas Darling, Waipuna (Poki); Who Loves You, Cyril Pahinui and Diana Aki; and You Love Me Good, Ekolu (Waiehu) Music Video/DVD.
• Hawaiian Music Album of the Year — Best performance of Hawaiian music. Finalists: Ha‘a, Na Palapalai (Kuana Torres Kahele); Mele ‘Ailana –Manu Boyd Island Music, Manu Boyd (Hui Waianuhea) Na Hoa, Na Hoa (Na Hoa); Pahinui Hawaiian Band, Pahinui Hawaiian Band (Keala/Pahinui); and Pilialoha, Weldon Kekauoha (‘Ohelo).
• Album of the Year — best album release of the year. Finalists: Ha‘a, Na Palapalai (Kuana Torres Kahele) Dave Tucciarone and Kuana Torres Kahele – producers; Hula Ku‘i, Kahulanui (Palm) Charles Michael Brotman – producer; ‘IO Nathan Aweau (Bass Plus) Nathan Aweau – producer; Na Hoa, Na Hoa (Na Hoa) Na Hoa and Dave Tucciarone – producers; and Pilialoha, Weldon Kekauoha (‘Ohelo) Dave Tucciarone and Weldon Kekauoha – producers.
• Song of the Year — best achievement in creating a first-time recorded song. Finalists: Aia Ka La‘i I Ka‘uiki, by ‘Iliahi Paredes from Pilialoha, Weldon Kekauoha (‘Ohelo); Ka Pua ‘Ano Lani, by Kuana Torres Kahele from Ha ‘a, Na Palapalai (Kuana Torres Kahele); Mele ‘Ailana by Manu Boyd from Mele ‘Ailana – Manu Boyd Island Music, Manu Boyd (Hui Waianuhea); and Uhiwai by Nathan Aweau from ‘IO, Nathan Aweau (Bass Plus) Wahinekona by Louis “Moon” Kauakahi from Huliau – “Music Foru all Seasons,”Ho‘okena (Ho‘omau).
For more information about the 36th annual Na Hoku Hanohano Awards, click here.
Photos: The Mountain Apple Co.
Page 1 2 3 4 5
Check out these related HawaiiMagazine.com posts:
New Hawaii music festival expands Na Hoku Hanohano Awards celebration
Where To Eat in Hawaii?
Hoku Zuttermeister wins big at Na Hoku Hanohano awards