Top 5 favorite Hawaii snacks: HAWAII Magazine Facebook poll resultsby: Maureen O'Connell
posted: Tue May 14, 2013 at 03:13 PM
Our Facebook ohana voted the ever-tempting malasada as top pick for favorite Hawaii snack. In Hawaii, Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday) is also known as Malasada Day. It's easy to understand why. On that annual day of indulgence before the Christian season Lent, which stresses reflection and restraint, the lines are especially long at bakeries making the traditional Portuguese confection—a ball of sweet yeast dough, deep fried gold then coasted with sugar. Many members of our HAWAII Magazine Facebook ohana expressed a fondness for malasadas from Honolulu’s Leonard’s Bakery, but you’ll find the treat statewide. Some like ‘em filled with everything from sweet custard to haupia to lilikoi (passion fruit) creams. Malasadas taste especially good after a swim, snorkeling session or any sort of calorie-burning exercise or athleticism. A few years ago, the Honolulu Marathon’s organizers started serving up fluffy malasadas at the finish line for more than 20,000 runners completing the 26.2-mile course. Yum!
Click on the links below for the Top 5 results from previous HAWAII Magazine facebook ohana poll questions.
• Top 5 places to watch a Hawaii sunset
• Top 5 favorite scenic spots on Kauai
• Top 5 Big Island scenic hiking trails
• Top 5 shoreline spots for whale-watching
• Top 5 favorite Maui swimming beaches
• Top 5 favorite Hawaii natural wonders
• Top 5 favorite Hawaii towns
• Top 5 favorite filmed-in-Hawaii movies
• Top 5 favorite Hawaii snorkeling spots
• Top 5 favorite filmed-in-Hawaii TV series ever
• Top 5 Hawaii parks
• Top 5 Hawaii music artists
• Top 5 favorite Hawaii valleys
• Top 5 favorite Hawaii waterfalls
• Top 5 favorite Hawaii plate lunch foods
Subscribe to HAWAII Magazine in print or on iPad.
Photos: Page 1 - (top) shave ice, Tor Johnson/Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA); all other photos, David Croxford (HAWAII Magazine).
Check out these related HawaiiMagazine.com posts:
“Best of Hawaii” 2009: Our favorite Hawaii snacks
Your Top 5 favorite Hawaii snacks: Our HAWAII Magazine Facebook poll results
We’re on a boat! HAWAII Magazine goes snorkeling and sailing off Waikiki