Top 5 favorite Hawaii waterfalls: HAWAII Magazine Facebook poll resultsby: Maureen O'Connell
posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Where: Honomu, Big Island
Height: 422 feet
Access: From downtown Hilo, head north on Hawaii Belt Road. Turn right on Route 220 (after 13-mile marker) into Honomu town. Akaka Falls is at the end of Route 220.
Akaka Falls was far and away our Facebook ohana’s favorite Hawaii waterfall. Nearly halfway into a short loop-trail through a luxuriant upslope rainforest (and past another stunning cascade, Kahuna Falls), your view suddenly opens to the one in the photos here: Akaka Falls plunging 422 feet into its deep, foliage-lined gorge. Few Hawaii waterfalls of this height are as easily accessible as Akaka, which contributes to its immense popularity.
Click on the links below for the Top 5 results from previous HAWAII Magazine facebook ohana poll questions.
• Top 5 Hawaii snacks
• Top 5 places to watch a Hawaii sunset
• Top 5 favorite scenic spots on Kauai
• Top 5 Big Island scenic hiking trails
• Top 5 shoreline spots for whale-watching
• Top 5 favorite Maui swimming beaches
• Top 5 favorite Hawaii natural wonders
• Top 5 favorite Hawaii towns
• Top 5 favorite filmed-in-Hawaii movies
• Top 5 favorite Hawaii snorkeling spots
• Top 5 favorite filmed-in-Hawaii TV series ever
• Top 5 Hawaii parks
• Top 5 Hawaii music artists
• Top 5 favorite Hawaii valleys
• Top 5 favorite Hawaii plate lunch foods
Subscribe to HAWAII Magazine in print or on iPad.
Photos: Page 1 - (top) Wainuenue Falls (Rainbow Falls),Tor Johnson/Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA); (middle) Waihi Waiele (Waimea Falls)/ Wikimedia Commons; (bottom); Kaliuwaa Falls (Sacred Falls) Wikimedia Commons. Page 2 - Wainuenue Falls (Rainbow Falls) Kirk Lee Aeder/Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA). Page 3 - (top) Waimoku Falls, (bottom) Hilawe Falls, both Tor Johnson/Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA). Page 4 - Wailua Falls,Tor Johnson/Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA). Page 5 - Akaka Falls (top)Tor Johnson/Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA); (bottom) Wikimedia Commons.
Check out these related HawaiiMagazine.com posts:
My Favorite Places: Waipio Valley
Top 5 Favorite Hawaii Scenic Lookouts: HAWAII Magazine reader poll results
Hawaii retailer Hilo Hattie sold
Roseanne Barr to get nutty on new Hawaii-filmed reality TV show