A Day of Hawaiian Culture
Kauai - Poipu, Hawaii
Kukuiula Village, 2829 Ala Kalanikaumaka
(808) 742-9545 or (808) 240-6369
Step back in time and visit with our island historians, artisans, our hula halau (dancers) and musicians as we journey together with our Hawaiian culture.
10 a.m. to Noon: Lei making-learn how to string a lei out of fresh flowers. Hawaiian cultural demonstrations including paakai (salt-making) and uses of the kukui nut, by Aunty Janet Kahalekomo and her ohana (family).
1 p.m.: Hula lessons and hula demonstrations. Learn some of the basics about this Native Hawaiian cultural dance form.
Sunset: Ancient Hawaiian chants and torch lighting ceremony.
7:30 p.m.: Hawaiian music and entertainment.
Part of the Prince Kuhio Celebration of the Arts Festival. Click here for the festival’s complete schedule.
Click here for HawaiiMagazine.com article.
posted by Sherie
Note: The information included in this calendar has been compiled from a variety of sources and is subject to change at any time without notice. While we do our best to make sure that the information is up-to-date and accurate, HAWAII Magazine does not assume responsibility for changes made. We strongly urge you to call the contact number listed for each event to verify the accuracy of the information.
- SLIDESHOW: "Heavenly Hanalei," Kauai's charming north shore getaway
- VIDEO: Lava lakes active within Kilauea volcano's Halemaumau and Puu Oo craters
- 12th Annual Photo Contest Winners/Finalists
- SLIDESHOW: Undiscovered Edens of Kauai
- VIDEO: Maui's Nakalele Blowhole in action
- VIDEO: Hawaii music legend Richard Hoopii sings "Ohuohu Kahakuloa" from his Maui backyard.
- VIDEO: Listen to the new "Hawaii Five-0" theme. Compare it to the classic.