HAWAII Magazine Editorial Staff Job Openings & Guidelines for Freelance Writers
HAWAII Magazine Editorial Staff Job Openings
Job Openings at HAWAII Magazine
(4/1/2014) HAWAII Magazine, a Honolulu-based, national bimonthly magazine for Hawaii travelers and Hawaii enthusiasts, is seeking a full-time Online/Associate Editor.
This position reports to the Editor of HAWAII Magazine.
The duties of the Online/Associate Editor include the following:
• Work collaboratively with the Editor to develop and produce long- and short-form editorial content appropriate to HAWAII Magazine’s editorial vision.
• Be the lead for developing and writing original daily content for the HawaiiMagazine.com website.
• Work with the Editor to maintain HAWAII Magazine's social media presence and produce a monthly e-newsletter.
• Work collaboratively with the Editor and Art Director to help develop strategies that define the editorial future of the magazine, website, social media platforms, events and ancillary products.
• Review all editorial content, edit copy, and, with the Editor, research and write features for each issue while meeting all deadlines and budgetary objectives.
• Monitor layouts, headlines and work with the Art Director to develop a consistent visual style for HAWAII Magazine.
• Communicate with and work effectively with the Sales, Creative and Circulation departments to achieve the business goals of the magazine.
• Perform other related duties based on business needs.
• An extensive knowledge of Hawaii to present an authoritative, factual voice on the subject for HAWAII Magazine.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in Journalism, English or equivalent professional magazine or newspaper editorial experience.
• Minimum two years of full-time magazine, newspaper or online media editorial work experience with solid research, reporting and writing skills, including copy editing and proofreading.
• Ability to work independently on a schedule of tight daily, weekly and bimonthly deadlines.
• Multiple samples of published editorial work/content for other print- and/or Web-based media entities.
Please send a cover letter, resume and multiple samples of your published work to HAWAII Magazine Editor Derek Paiva at email@example.com.
You may also send a cover letter, resume and multiple samples of your published work via postal mail to:
HAWAII Magazine Associate/Online Editor Posting
ATTN: Derek Paiva
1000 Bishop St., Suite 405
Honolulu, HI 96813
Guidelines for Freelance Writers
HAWAII Magazine is an award-winning bimonthly regional travel publication, with a national paid circulation of 60,000 and per issue readership of more than 250,000. The magazine is written for people who love Hawaii and visit often, but who primarily reside outside of Hawaii. We have the largest circulation base of paid subscribers of any magazine based in the state of Hawaii and are the only nationally-distributed magazine about Hawaii.
Founded in 1984, HAWAII Magazine was produced for 22 years out of California. In October, 2006, Honolulu-based PacificBasin Communications brought the magazine home for the first time in its history, acquiring it from Irving-based BowTie Inc. PacificBasin Communications is Hawaii's leading publisher of consumer magazines. Its current titles include Hawaii Business, Hawaii Home+Remodeling, Honolulu and Mana Magazine. It is headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaii.
HAWAII uses freelance writers on a wide variety of subjects, including travel stories, personality profiles, stories on activities, history, culture, music, food and environmental sustainability. All stories must be related to Hawai'i, though we do consider stories about Hawaii-related events on the Mainland.
We especially encourage submissions from writers who reside in and are very knowledgeable about the Hawaiian Islands.
QUERIES AND SUBMITTING CLIPS
Freelance writers interested in writing for HAWAII Magazine are encouraged to submit samples of their published work (print and/or online) or feature queries/pitches to editor Derek Paiva by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or to the mailing address below.
Query letters should briefly explain the subject you would like to write about and mention your qualifications for treating the subject. If submitting samples of your previously published work, please enclose two or more articles/features or URL links to articles/feature, and a letter of interest.
HAWAII Magazine also purchases photographs. Queries on photography should be addressed to art director, Cody Kawamoto (email@example.com).
Payment for main feature stories, depending on length and complexity, ranges from $600 to up to $2,000 per feature. Short features, regular departments (such as "Island Hopping" and "5 Things I Love About ...") and columns, range in payment from $250 to up to $600 per feature.
HAWAII Magazine issues payment to freelance writers 30 days after publication of the article.
Upon acceptance, HAWAII Magazine retains first and exclusive license for 12 months from the date of publication to reproduce all and/or any part of the article for design purposes, and distribute it by all means and media now known or hereafter discovered, including but not limited to print, microfilm and electronic media as well as the right to display and transmit the work publicly online. After 12 months all rights secured in the article shall revert to the writer except that already existing Web pages may remain on aio Web sites and that the magazine will be able to publish (and reuse in the same manner and to just as great an extent) the article or portions of it for archival, historical or editorial purposes.
We do not publish travel pieces on destinations outside of Hawaii. We
do not publish fiction or poetry. We do not publish features and articles previously published verbatim in other media.
Serious inquiries only, please.
Mahalo for your interest!
Editor, HAWAII Magazine
1000 Bishop Street, Suite 405
Honolulu, HI 96813