The HDS Foundation was established by Hawaii Dental Service (HDS) to improve the oral health of Hawaii’s communities by providing grants to local nonprofit organizations for initiatives that provide oral health education, prevent oral disease, and increase access to dental care for underserved populations.
KEY SERVICES PROVIDED
As the first and leading nonprofit dental benefits provider in the state, HDS serves over one million Hawaii residents—including over 600,000 members, 300,000 Medicaid beneficiaries, and nearly 3,000 local businesses. The HDS Foundation has contributed more than $4 million in grants, since it was established in 1986, to vital programs and services that help Hawai‘i’s underserved, many of whom do not have dental insurance, or do not have access to dental care. Some of the grants for programs and services include:
• Aloha Medical Mission (alohamedicalmission.org) – support of their dental clinic which provides free dental services to the uninsured statewide.
• Bay Clinic (bayclinic.org) – for purchase of a mobile health van to provide dental service to East Hawaii on Hawaii Island.
• Hui No Ke Ola Pono (hnkop.org) – for a school-based sealant program for Maui students and dental equipment at their Hana clinic.
• Lanai Community Health Center (lanaicommunityhealthcenter.org) – for critical dental equipment and supplies.
• University of the Pacific (dental.pacific.edu) – to expand access and improve health through a pilot project Virtual Dental Home system of care in West Hawaii on Hawaii Island.
Mason Savage, DDS, Chair
Charles Sugiyama, DDS, Vice Chairperson
Casey Tamashiro, DDS, President
Mark H. Yamakawa, Vice President
Cherly Takitani-Smith, Treasurer
Tom Delaney, Secretary
HAWAII DENTAL SERVICE
Mark H. Yamakawa, President & CEO
Hawaii Dental Service
700 Bishop Street, Bishop Tower, Suite 700
Honolulu, HI 96813
Ph: (808) 521-1431 | Toll Free: 1-800-232-2533