Senior Editor Wanted
HAWAI‘I Magazine, a Honolulu-based, award winning bimonthly publication that takes you off the beaten path to experience the Islands’ culture, people, places, beauty, food and history, is seeking a full time Senior Editor. This position reports to the Editor of HAWAI‘I Magazine and has the primary responsibility for developing and editing content for print and web, targeting an active group of Hawai‘i visitors.
The primary duties of the Senior Editor include the following:
- Work collaboratively with the Editor to develop, edit and produce long- and short-form editorial content appropriate to HAWAI‘I Magazine’s editorial vision.
- Develop, write and edit original daily editorial content for the HawaiiMagazine.com website.
- Work with the Editor and Digital Media Manager to properly maintain HAWAI‘I Magazine’s social media presence.
- Work collaboratively with the Editor, Art Director and Digital Media Manager to help develop strategies that define the editorial future of the magazine, website, social media platforms, events and ancillary products.
- Review all editorial content, edit copy, headlines, and, with the Editor, research and write features for each print issue while meeting all deadlines and budgetary objectives.
- Develop and write 2-5 original pieces of content for the website each week; conceiving and producing multimedia features, including audio, video and still images, either within our sites or for emerging technologies such as wireless, downloadable audio, video or audio-visual broadcasts. Work with the Editor and Digital Media Manager to help to develop and write the weekly e-newsletter.
- Communicate with and work effectively with the Sales, Creative and Circulation departments to achieve the business goals of the magazine.
- Perform other related duties based on business needs.
- An extensive knowledge of Hawai‘i to present an authoritative, factual voice on the subject for HAWAI‘I Magazine.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Journalism, English or equivalent professional magazine or newspaper editorial experience.
- Minimum three years of full time magazine or online media editorial work experience with solid research, reporting and writing skills, including copy editing and proofreading.
- Ability to work independently on a schedule of tight daily, weekly and bimonthly deadlines.
- Ability to travel to neighbor islands to cover online stories and features.
- Multiple samples of published editorial work/content for other print- and/or Web-based media entities.
HAWAII Magazine is an award-winning bimonthly regional travel publication, with a national paid circulation of 68,000 and per issue readership of more than 289,000. The magazine is written for people who love Hawaii and visit often, but who primarily reside outside of Hawaii. We have the largest circulation base of paid subscribers of any magazine based in the state of Hawaii and are the only nationally-distributed magazine about Hawaii.
Founded in 1984, HAWAII Magazine was produced for 22 years out of California. In October, 2006, Honolulu-based PacificBasin Communications brought the magazine home for the first time in its history, acquiring it from Irving-based BowTie Inc. PacificBasin Communications is Hawaii's leading publisher of consumer magazines. Its current titles include Hawaii Business, Hawaii Home+Remodeling, Honolulu and Mana Magazine. It is headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaii.
HAWAII uses freelance writers on a wide variety of subjects, including travel stories, personality profiles, stories on activities, history, culture, music, food and environmental sustainability. All stories must be related to Hawaii, though we do consider stories about Hawaii-related events on the mainland.
We especially encourage submissions from writers who reside in and are very knowledgeable about the Hawaiian Islands.
Queries and Submitting Clips
Freelance writers interested in writing for HAWAII Magazine are encouraged to submit samples of their published work (print and/or online) along with a letter of interest to editor Christine Hitt by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or to Hawaii Magazine, ATTN: Christine Hitt, 1088 Bishop St., Suite LL2, Honolulu, HI 96813. Samples should showcase travel writing experience.
We do not publish travel pieces on destinations outside of Hawaii. We do not publish fiction or poetry. We do not publish features and articles previously published verbatim in other media.
Serious inquiries only, please.
HAWAII Magazine also purchases photographs. Queries about photography or potential photo essays should be addressed to Art Director Elena Bragg (email@example.com).