The Friends of the Library of Hawaii exists to promote and support Hawaii’s public libraries. The primary objectives of the Friends of the Library of Hawaii shall be:
- To assist in maintaining free public libraries in the State of Hawaii.
- To increase the facilities of the public library system of Hawaii by securing materials beyond the scope of the ordinary library budget.
- To award continuing education and scholarship grants.
- To focus attention on all public libraries.
- To encourage and accept by bequest or gift, donations of books, manuscripts, money, and other appropriate material that can enrich the cultural opportunities available to the people of Hawaii.
- To promote the extension of library services throughout the State of Hawaii.
KEY SERVICES PROVIDED
Established in 1879, the Friends of the Library of Hawaii (FLH) exists to support and promote Hawaii’s 51 public libraries. FLH provides funding outside the regular state budget to support statewide literacy programs, grants to library branches, continuing education for library staff, scholarships for the next generation of librarians, technology upgrades, grant writing, and selection of the Librarian of the Year and Excellence in Service awardees each year.
EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
Support our Fundraisers:
- Shop at our BOOKS @ Mark’s Bookstore in downtown Honolulu.
- Shop at our 10-day Annual Booksale each summer at McKinley High School.
- Shop the Art & Booksale (November) at Washington Middle School.
- Shop the Music & Booksale (January) at Washington Middle School.
- Play in the Links to Literacy golf tournament each October at Kapolei Golf Club
Participate in and Sponsor our Programs:
- Join the Summer Reading Programs at the 51 public libraries.
- Cheer on the Koolauloa Battle of the Books.
- Visit your local branch for Free Comic Book Day.
- Join a local storytime for Every Child Ready to Read tips.
- Donate to Makana Akamai, the gift of knowledge.
Nainoa Mau, Executive Director
Lynnae Lee, President
Maia Rosen, Vice-President
Colin Lee, Treasurer
Kathy Fay, Secretary
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Susan A. Li
Allene R. Suemori
Stacey Aldrich, State Librarian
Friends of the Library of Hawaii