13 Terrifying Things that Give Hawaiʻi Locals Chicken Skin
From sketchy 7-11 visits at 2 a.m. to getting called uncle for the first time, these 13 things will freak you out.
It’s not all rainbows and sunshine in Hawaiʻi—there are some truly terrifying things that exist in the islands, especially for kamaʻāina. From that one night marchers story your uncle told you at a potluck to 7-11 runs at 2 a.m., there are a handful of things in Hawaiʻi that give locals chicken skin all night long. So go to the bathroom before reading this, or else you might make shi shi in your pants at some of these terrifying local-kine things.
1. That One Story You Heard at Camp That You Still Remember
You know the one. The lights were out at Camp Erdman on your elementary school field trip but all the kids were sharing scary stories. And of course, that one kid had one so frightening, so dark, that you couldn’t even sleep that night and had to ask your friend to go to the bathroom with you. Every once in a while, it still pops up in your head and gives you chicken skin just like it did when you were 12.
2. 7-11 at 2 a.m.
Look that guy got his hand chopped off with a sword at that 7-11 in Waikīkī and honestly, it could happen to anyone.
3. Deciding to Run Some Errands in Town Without Realizing It’s Rush Hour
4. When the Keiki Call You Unko or Auntie for the First Time
Do you know what the most terrifying thing of all is? Time. And when your snot-nosed nephew calls you uncle even though you’re only like, 29. And then you realize, oh god, I am an unko.
5. The Haunted Plantation
There’s a reason why it’s considered one of the scariest haunted houses in the world, the Haunted Plantation is truly terrifying—like, you actually shouldn’t go if you have heart issues or are pregnant.
6. “Wait Till Your Fadda Comes Home!”
7. When the Waves Go From Small to Way Too Big, Way Too Fast
8. Hearing the Sound of Gunshots Before Realizing They’re Just Filming an Episode of “Hawaiʻi Five-O”
Of course, “Hawaiʻi Five-O” is no longer in production, but you know what we mean. You’re just going along your day and then BANG, BANG. It’s fight or flight and you’re fleeing like crazy before finally seeing the “Filming in Process” sign or some camera guy on break.
9. The Monthly Siren Test You Always Forget About
It’s funny how fast “Oh god, we’re all going to die!” can go to “Oh god, I’m an idiot!”
10. Accidently Putting On Someone Else’s Slippahs
Why does it feel so bad? It’s like sleeping in someone else’s bed or wearing their bibbidees.
11. The Moment the Cockroach Flies
12. When You Been Running the AC All September and the Electricity Bill Comes In
13. Seeing the Number 13 on an Elevator Instead of It Skipping From 12 to 14
If you hit 13 on an elevator while holding a bowl of rice with the chopsticks sticking up and say “four” at the same time, you’ll never make it to your floor.