All Hawaii National Park Service sites now open following end of fed shutdown
As of this morning, all of Hawaii’s National Park Service parks, monuments, trails and historic sites are again open for visitors following the temporary resumption of funding for federal government services on Wednesday.
The World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument at Pearl Harbor on Oahu opened at 7 a.m. this morning, resuming tours of the USS Arizona Memorial, its visitor center and other harbor historic sites.
Two of Hawaii’s other major NPS sites, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island and Haleakala National Park on Maui, reopened on Thursday morning.
The three NPS Hawaii parks and sites above are the most popular in the Islands, each welcoming several thousand visitors daily.
Prior to yesterday, all 401 National Park Service sites throughout the U.S. had been closed for 16 days following the federal government shutdown on Oct. 1
In Hawaii, the closures encompassed the complete shutdowns of all Hawaii NPS sites to all visitor and automobile traffic and affected campgrounds, trails, roads, visitor centers, programs, special events and, in the case of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, hotel lodging such as the Volcano House hotel. Websites for all parks throughout the National Park Service system nationwide were also shuttered for the duration of the shutdown.
Headed to the parks? Here are the daily hours of operation for Hawaii’s most-visited National Park Service sites:
ON THE BIG ISLAND:
• Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
-Open 24 hours a day year-round
-Kilauea Visitor Center open daily from 7:45 a.m. to 5 p.m.
-Jaggar Museum open daily from 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
• Puuhonua O Honaunau National Historic Park
– Open from 7 a.m. to sunset daily
– Visitor Center open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Puukohola Heiau National Historic Site
– Open from 7:45 to 4:45 p.m. daily
• Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park
Open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily
Hale Hookipa Visitor Center open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge
– Open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Closed on major federal holidays.
• Haleaklala National Park
– Open 24 hours a day year-round
– Park Headquarters Visitor Center open daily from 8 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
– Haleakala Visitor Center open from sunrise to 3 p.m.
– Kipahulu Visitor Center open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument at Pearl Harbor
– Pearl Harbor Visitor Center open daily from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day
– USS Arizona Memorial program and boat tours begin at 8 a.m. and run through 3 p.m. daily.