Valentine's Day is only a week away, so here are a few suggestions for restaurants with a romantic atmosphere and special prix fixe menus. Reservations are recommended though—and soon—if you want to snag a table for two at any of these places.
Merriman's Kapalua (Maui)
Culinary pioneer Peter Merriman's restaurant has a stunning view overlooking Kapalua Bay and is known for its exquisite Hawaii Regional Cuisine.
This year's four-course meal includes:
- Tomato curry soup
- Your choice of starters like crispy Hawaii Island goat cheese chevre, hot seared Kona kampachi and jalepeno corn cakes, tempura oysters or pork belly (raw seafood bar for $50 extra)
- Your choice of a main course like opakapaka and Kauai shrimp, herb-scented lamb chops, butter poached Keahole lobster ($25 extra), prime beef filet, macadamia nut crusted mahimahi or Maui Lehua taro cake (vegan)
- Dessert: buttermilk panna cotta parfait, flourless Waialua chocolate cake, Kula strawberry ice cream or Maui gold pineapple and toasted macadamia-nut bread pudding.
Prix fixe menu: $85 per person, $35 for children 12 and under. (808) 669-6400, merrimanshawaii.com/kapalua/valentines-menu
Brown's Beach House at the Fairmont Orchid (Hawaii Island)
This award-winning restaurant is just steps away from the ocean, and renowned among visitors and residents for its fresh local cuisine and romantic atmosphere.
The exotic three-course Valentine's Day menu includes:
- Hawaii Island beets or char siu octopus
- Your choice of crab-crusted Kona Kampachi, filet mignon, roasted Red Ranger chicken (with kabocha pumpkin risotto) or vegetable laulau.
- For dessert, a Valrhona Manjari chocolate heart with macadamia nut mousse and passion fruit gel or compressed Hilo vanilla bean fruits.
Prix fixe menu: $75 per person, add $25 for wine pairings. (808) 885-2000, fairmont.com/orchid-hawaii/pdf/orc-browns-valentines-menu-feb-2017
Alan Wong’s Restaurant (Oahu)
This award-winning restaurant offers classic Hawaii Regional Cuisine in a fine dining setting and is a solid option for Valentine's Day.
This year’s prix fixe menu:
- Amuse bouche Hudson Valley foie gras mousse
- An appetizer trio that includes a Kualoa oyster with Waialua sweet potato ponzu granite, hamachi carpaccio and house-made duck prosciutto
- Seafood gratin
- Seared onaga (long tail red snapper) and mungo bean farro salad
- Surf & Turf lobster and shortrib
- Flourless chocolate cake for dessert
Prix fixe menu, $100 per person, $150 with wine pairings. The a la carte menu will not be available February 14. (808) 949-1939, alanwongs.com/events/happy-valentines-day-2
Beachhouse at the Moana Surfrider (Oahu)
If you’re looking for a special dinner in Waikiki, the Beachhouse in the Moana Surfrider is a classically romantic option. The oceanfront restaurant features two Valentine’s Day menus on the 14th, a four-course and a six-course.
The four-course prix fixe menu:
- Duck confit
- Ahi au poivre
- Braised shortribs
- Passionfruit orange trifle for dessert
Four-course seating is from 5:30 to 6:45 p.m. From 7 to 9:30 p.m., there will be six courses. In addition to the four-course offerings, there will be an additional seafood course and foie gras.
First seating four-course dinner, $90 per person. Six-course dinner $120 per person. (808) 922-3111, beachhousewaikiki.com
The Pig & The Lady (Oahu)
It may only be February, but this fun, unexpected and exclusive prix fixe menu at Vietnamese fusion concept restaurant The Pig & The Lady might be the culinary experience of the year.
- Oysters a la aphrodesiac
- Red velvet: strawberry, beet, radish, cherry tomato, goat cheese, heart of palm and mascarpone
- Kampachi Sex-c viche: Kona kampachi with smoked trout roe, yuzu, pomegranate, grapefruit
- Your choice of bone marrow bucatini, grilled duck breast, or lobster bun rieu
- Leather & Lace: Godiva chocolate cake, strawberry flambé, bon bon
There is also an alternative vegetarian menu for the evening.
Prix fixe menu, $69 per person, an extra $31 with wine pairings. (808) 585-8255, thepigandthelady.com/valentines