Some world's best pro football players are now touching down in Hawaii for this weekend’s 2013 NFL Pro Bowl at Oahu’s Aloha Stadium.
The all-star game, in which the NFC (National Football Conference) squares off against the AFC (American Football Conference) will get under way at 2 p.m. (Hawaii time) on Sunday, and will be televised nationally on NBC. During Pro Bowl Week, which starts Friday, fans will get a chance to meet players, cheerleaders and take part in festivities. (See Pro Bowl Week highlights below.)
The annual Pro Bowl was held at Aloha Stadium from 1980 through 2009. In 2010, it moved to Sun Lite Stadium, home of the Miami Dolphins. In 2011, it moved back to Aloha Stadium. And last year, after complaints about lackluster effort among players during the 2012 game at Aloha Stadium, NFL officials considered canceling the 2013 all-star game. Subsequently, players are pledging to bring a more competitive game to this weekend's 33rd Pro Bowl in Hawaii.
2013 Pro Bowl Week events
• Downtown Touchdown - Eat the Street Pro Bowl Style — A pep rally of sorts featuring Hawaii's popular street food festival (several food trucks serving up island-style cuisine) and guest appearances by the Pro Bowl cheerleaders and mascots. 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Fri., Jan. 25 (555 South St., Honolulu) Admission: free.
• Pro Bowl Ohana Day Celebration — This morning event features fan contests, player interviews, NFL video features and a preview of the Pro Bowl game entertainment. There will even be a special Kid’s Zone where keiki can enjoy special contests, prizes, presentations and “mascot mania.” 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Sat., Jan. 26 at Aloha Stadium. Admission: free
• Youth Football & Cheerleading Clinics — Advanced registration is required. Contact the Honolulu Boys and Girls Club or the Honolulu YMCA for registration information. 10 a.m. to 2:45 p.m on Sat., Jan. 26. at Kapiolani Park. Admission: free
• Pro Bowl All-Star Block Party — A stretch of Waikiki’s main street shuts down to make way for a block party featuring NFL players, cheerleaders, mascots and local celebrities. There will also be six entertainment stages, food and local crafts. 7 p.m. to 10 p.m on Sat., Jan. 26., Kalakaua Avenue. Admission: free.
• Pro Bowl Touchdown Club — NFL food court, bands, appearances by NFL players and cheerleaders. 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Sun., Jan.27. Aloha Stadium, Lot 8B (North End). Admission: free to Pro Bowl ticketholders.
• Official Pro Bowl Tailgate Party — The party will be held at Richardson Field, which overlooks Pearl Harbor and is a short walk from Aloha Stadium. Entertainment and food included with admission. 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Sun., Jan. 27. For ticket information, click here.
• Pro Bowl Pregame Ceremonies — The pregame show will include feature opening ceremonies and a live performance by the Grammy-award winning band Train. 1:45 p.m. on Sun., Jan. 27 at Aloha Stadium. Admission: included with Pro Bowl ticket.
For additional information about Pro Bowl game and tailgate party tickets, click here.
Photos: (top) 2011 Pro Bowl, courtesy the NFL; (bottom)
Adrian Peterson at 2010 NFL Pro Bowl in Miami, courtesy of the NFL