31 signs that basically sum up Hawaii
Hawaii is such a diverse place sometimes it’s hard to illustrate what living or visiting here is all about. That’s where these unique signs posted up around the Islands come in.
1. Hawaii is a place where taro has gone mainstream.
2. Where living with so many of these in your closet means you can get a package deal.
3. Where every pest is taken extremely seriously.
No matter how big. That’s how fragile the ecosystem is in Hawaii.
4. If you want to know what the weather is just assess the nearest coconut.
5. It’s a place where getting stung by a man-o-war looks like this.
6. Or a lava bench breaking off and collapsing under you looks like the scariest children’s book story ever told.
The burned signage is a poignant touch.
7. This has you immediately stopping in your tracks and turning around already…
Kapu means “forbidden” in Hawaiian and it’s a warning we don’t take lightly.
8. And if you do get caught breaking kapu, let’s just say you’ll be punished.
9. Where not following the state’s agriculture laws could cost you the most expensive banana ever.
10. Where directions are always given in relation to the other landmarks.
Because “credit card strip facing left” just isn’t descriptive enough. It’s “credit card strip facing the bank,” are we clear?
11. Where people are so polite you have to instruct them not to bus their own tables.
“Please stop being so considerate! Thank you!”
12. And where people would turn the great outdoors into a venue for anything if they could.
Check out all the “rave party” they’ve apparently been throwing at Mokuleia Bay on Maui.
13. It’s a place where traffic doesn’t only apply to the freeway.
14. And when it does, make sure you let that nene cross.
The nene is a Hawaiian goose endemic to the Hawaiian Islands. It’s also the official state bird.
15. It’s a place where a tailgate isn’t merely categorized as a “party.”
In Hawaii, tailgating is so much more than that and it’s gonna cost you full price, but so worth it.
16. Where if you need to make some fast cash, you round up the usual suspects.
17. Where, well, yeaaaaah, this is basically a deal breaker.
18. It’s a place where this is considered a “sale.”
19. And where this is going to go fast.
20. Hawaii is a place with its own topical issues.
21. If you’re in nature and you’re not sure you can touch it, this is a place where you probably shouldn’t.
22. Where this pretty much applies for all Islands.
Hawaii has the lowest maximum speed limit (60 mph) of all the states.
23. And it’s an attitude people here wear on their sleeves.
24. Because life really is all peaceful palm trees … until they aren’t.
25. After all, you could get knocked into a coma by mangoes.
26. Or pummeled by boulders.
27. Or slammed by waves breaking on a ledge on top of you.
28. THERE IS LITERALLY DANGER AT EVERY TURN.
29. But, hey, we’re aware paradise has its unique risks.
30. No matter what though someone in Hawaii is always looking out for you.
31. See what we mean?