Since 1971, Hawaii Literacy has worked to ensure adults have a second chance to learn to read and write, help disadvantaged children succeed in school, and train hundreds of literacy volunteers to teach in our communities. We provide books, technology, and tutors so that literacy is no longer a barrier to better jobs, reading as a family, or successfully finishing school.
KEY SERVICES PROVIDED
Hawaii Literacy serves over 3,100 adults and children who struggle with reading and writing. We offer five free and proven programs:
- Adult Literacy tutoring in reading and writing for any English-speaking adult on Oahu, Kauai, or Kona
- English Language Learner classes for adults learning to speak English
- Family Literacy Libraries that offer literacy and after-school education programs for 800 families in Mayor Wright and Kuhio Park public housing
- Bookmobile & Peer Tutoring project that serves youth at 13 high-need sites on the Waianae Coast
- Parents Achieving Literacy to help parents support their own children in becoming readers, even when they are not confident readers themselves.
Visit hawaiiliteracy.org to see how you can help!
EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
- • Volunteer: Share your knowledge and help adults and keiki build lifelong reading skills!
- Employee Giving: Does your workplace participate in Aloha United Way’s giving campaign? To support local literacy, use AUW code #96240.
- Donate: Year-end or holiday donations support our community-based programs built from research on what works.
- Wish List: School supplies (scissors, backpacks, crayons, etc.) and program supplies (sandwich bags, toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning materials) are big needs in our work with 2,600 low-income keiki.
- Awareness: Did you know 1 in 6 adults in Hawaii struggles to read? Your encouragement to a co-worker, friend, or family member can be the difference! Contact us anytime. We can help!
Brandon Kurisu President
Jason Fujita, Vice-President
Jamie Asato, Co-Treasurer
Aaron K. Masuoka, Co-Treasurer
Suzanne Skjold, Secretary
Board of Directors
Sean K. Knox
R. Scott Simon
G. Todd Withy
James A. Wong
Suzanne Skjold, Executive Director
Shayna Yatsushiro, Assistant Director