The festival includes a fun run, an all-day celebration featuring a free concert with performances by Hawaii’s musicians and a parade along Maui’s South Kihei Road, just to name a few.
The festival also includes special two-hour VIP whale-watching tours, which will be led by Greg Kaufman, co-author of three books about humpback whales. Kaufman is also the president and founder of the Pacific Whale Foundation, a nonprofit Maui-based organization that has been protecting whales throughout the Pacific region since 1980.
Here is the schedule for the Great Maui Whale Festival:
Saturday, Feb. 7:
• Run for the Whales (Scenic coast from Wailea to Makena)
Sunday, Feb. 22:
• Two-hour VIP Whale watch tour with Pacific Whale Foundation President Greg Kaufman (Maalaea Harbor)
Thursday, Feb. 26:
• “A Year with the Whales” Free Talk and Slideshow (Pacific Whale Foundation’s Discovery Center)
Saturday, Feb. 28:
• The Great Whale Count (Maui’s shorelines)
Sunday, March 1:
• Two-hour VIP Whale watch tour with Pacific Whale Foundation President Greg Kaufman (Lahaina Harbor)
Get here, and you’re likely to see a breaching humpback whale in Maui’s waters.
Photos courtesy of Pacific Whale Foundation